Lots of piecing, some quilting, and a HUGE clean out dominated the sewing room this week. While I already know what I want to do next, I couldn't be happier with this week's progress!
(This post contains affiliate links)
Well today has just flown by! I had hoped to get this up by lunch, but I was busy stitching and then running errands-- you know how it goes! However, I am delighted to report that I got SO MUCH done this week.
First of all, WELCOME to all the new friends who have joined the Quilting Rockstars Facebook Group and the Lanterns of Hope Quilt-A-Long! Rockstar Lydia did some quilty math magic this week, and the Lanterns of Hope Pattern now includes THREE sizes-- mini, throw, and, the original size, twin. Many more of you have jumped in and are jumping in now that there are more size options, and I'm pleased as punch. If you'd like to piece along with us for the rest of the month (it's definitely not too late to catch up) and then quilt this beauty with us next month, all you have to do is 1) Join the Quilting Rockstars Facebook Group (be sure to answer the questions I ask when you request to join!) 2) Then, purchase a copy of the pattern. All three sizes are strip friendly-- 1.5, 2.5, and 3.5 inches respectively.
You can see here that I have 8 blocks done now (weeks 1 and 2), and this quilt is already getting big! Don't let that fool you, though-- the blocks come together so fast!
The other really big thing I did this week was (finally) clean out and reorganize my sewing room. I threw away 7 giant bags of stuff and recycled countless boxes. Quilts for Cure now has ownership of the closet, and it's so much easier to see what we have and what needs to be done. My own stash of random stuff is significantly decreased and all fits in bins under the longarm now. It's a wonderful set up, and the whole room feels bigger, lighter, and more productive. (don't miss all those quilt tops on the right that need quilting! whoa!)
Midweek, it was time to finish up a customer quilt and get it shipped off. I had reorganized the night before and woke up delighted to find that the Aurifil fairies had rewarded me with a new box of thread. The variety inside included Aurifil's monofilament. I was extremely skeptical of monofilament in general, but I couldn't deny that this vivid batik quilt would benefit from nearly invisible stitching. With Hilary at Aurifil's encouragement, I tried the monofilament on the longarm and WOWIE ZOWIE, it quilts like a dream!
I just loosened the top tension a bit, put a matching 50 wt cotton in the bobbin, and I was off to the races! I had no tension issues or breakages, and i could not be more thrilled! Thank you Aurifil!
Finally, I'm all caught up on Round Two from Camp Oda May's Choose Your Own Adventure QAL. I am so.in.love with this quilt so far. Y'all have been so supportive about my color choices, so there will be a post about that soon, and my Intro to Color Theory will be back soon, too, if you want to learn all my secrets. Stay tuned!
We are in the middle of the Summer Stash Busting Challenge-- Welcome! Be sure to check out the original post to see the full lineup of content here.