Good morning, Creatives!
I have the pleasure today of being Episode 30 on the Creative Women's League podcast. Kate and I talked about my creative journey, our favorite biz resources, and why we think it's foolish to overlook the plentiful opportunities to self-educate on topics like business and marketing. To that end, here are some of my favorite books, podcasts, etc. to teach you how to start, grow, and market your business. I spend 4-6+ hours per day listening to business books and podcasts. I joke with my friends that I'm working on a free, online MBA. But, jokes aside, I take my continuing education and personal development very seriously-- If I am in my sewing room, my car, or my kitchen, school is in session.
A few guidelines as you begin your self-education journey:
- Beware of gimmicks. There are no shortcuts-- only opportunities to work smarter and see better results. Building as business is a lot of hard work.
- Spend money wisely. Right now, you probably don't need the $1000 course (and, perhaps more significantly, you probably don't have a grand lying around to spend on a class). Focus on educational investments that cost less money and more time (i.e.: books, Audible, etc). There is so much available for free-- allow yourself to start there. The course is probably fabulous, but remember that even a $1000 course isn't a magic wand for your biz.
- Learn about all the things, but start by just implementing a few. If you try to do all the social media, and a blog, and youtube, and pinterest, and an email list, and ads, and courses, and finance, and and and, then you will overwhelm yourself and burn out fast. Learn about all of it, but just start working on the few things that make the most sense and have the least friction. Just let the rest roll around in your head for awhile. You can add facets of your biz and marketing strategy as you grow in your skill and confidence.
- Building a StoryBrand with Donald Miller
- Online Marketing Made Easy with Amy Porterfield
- The Goal Digger Podcast with Jenna Kutcher
- The Influencer Podcast with Julie Solomon
- The Creative Women's League with Kate Toney
- The Dave Ramsey Show (personal finance)
- The Ken Coleman Show (career development)
- EntreLeadership (effective leadership-- which I'm finding very insightful even though I don't have a team)
- How to Be Remarkable
- Creative Peptalk with Andy J Miller
(These are affiliate links to Amazon)
- Building a StoryBrand by Donald Miller
- Real Artists Don't Starve by Jeff Goins
- Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert
- Love Your Life, Not Theirs by Rachel Cruze
- Your Inner Critic is a Big Jerk by Danielle Krysa
- Jab, Jab, Jab, Right Hook by Gary Vaynerchuk
- Thank You Economy by Gary Vaynerchuk
- Steal Like an Artist by Austin Kleon
I love webinars from Donald Miller (5 Minute Marketing Makeover-- delivered to your inbox), Amy Porterfield, Jenna Kutcher, and Julie Solomon. I probably do at least one webinar per month.
Online Marketing Made Easy #183 by Amy Porterfield: How to Create Your Promotional Calendar. This is my #1 must listen podcast right now because I'm learning to look past next week in my business.
Happy Self-Educating, y'all! If you have more questions about the resources I love to grow my business savvy, you can leave a comment here, email me, or reach out on social media. Speaking of which, you can find me at String & Story on Facebook and @stringandstory on Instagram! And, if you are a quilter who is ready to quilt with confidence, please join me for Intro to Free Motion Quilting: a FREE online workshop!