Peppermint is cooling and soothing as well as awaking and uplifting. This is a bit of an oxymoronic oil, and that’s just what makes it so wonderful.
(This post contains affiliate links)
Oh Peppermint— I don’t think I could live without you! You wake me up, cool me down, refresh me, uplift me, calm my tummy boost my mood….
Clearly I have a bit of a love affair going on here, and once you’ve experienced doTERRA’s amazingly pure and crisp peppermint oil, you will too!
Primary Properties & Uses
It’s possible that when I say “peppermint” you only think “candy cane,” and while doTERRA’s peppermint oil is just as delicious because of its high menthol content, we seriously shortchange this oil if we only think of it as a flavor. Peppermint can be a bit oxymoronic— both cooling and uplifting, calming and encouraging. But this juxtaposition is exactly what makes it so wonderful.
Here are three of my favorite ways to diffuse peppermint oil (recipes are assuming a 2-4 hour diffuser. I add about 1 drop of oil per hour of diffusing time to my diffuser):
1) By Itself: The fresh scent of peppermint opens the airways to support healthy, deep breathing and encouraging feelings of alertness and energy. I love to breathe it straight from the bottle in the mornings or swipe a drop under my nose before a workout.
2) 2 drops each of lemon, lavender, and peppermint. This blend is also known as “TriEase” or the seasonal support blend. If you tend to have periodic respiratory issues, especially during “the yellow season,” diffuse these three oils daily to support healthy and clear breathing.
3) Peppermint & Wild Orange. This is my “banish the drowsies” go-to. If I’m slumping in the afternoon or feeling a little off my game, a few drops in the diffuser or a drop each in my palms and inhaled deeply give my brain a perfect boost!
Peppermint is very cooling on the skin which makes it calming and refreshing for topical use.
IMPORTANT TIP: Always keep peppermint away from your eyes, and if you apply it topically with your hands, wash them right away to avoid accidentally rubbing your eyes and experiencing amazing misery.
1) Combine with lavender and Frankincense as well as a splash of fractionated coconut oil in a 4 oz spray bottle, then fill to the top with distilled water and shake well for a soothing after-sun spray
2) Roll over forehead, neck, and shoulders. If you are experiencing head tension or anxious feelings, roll on peppermint for soothing relief.
3) For Respiratory support. Swipe under nose and across chest before working out for a cooling, invigorating aroma, encouraging you to breathe deeply
(Note Bene: We all consume essential oils when we eat fresh, aromatic foods (fresh herbs, citrus fruit, etc), and we can consume them already distilled as well. In fact, some of the most powerful benefits of essential oils can be harnessed by taking the oils internally! For your safety, I only recommend doing so with doTERRA’s CPTG certified oils and only with oils that have the “supplement facts” label on them (please remember that I am not a doctor, and you should proceed according to your comfort level and common sense and consider consulting your doctor. I am sharing here what I have found to be effective for me). )
1) Seasonal & Respiratory Support I take peppermint internally daily as part of the “TriEase” seasonal support blend. It has made a huge difference in my daily respiratory health, and I can tell a huge difference if I forget to take it. Make your own TriEase by combining two drops each of lemon, lavender, and peppermint in a veggie cap or shot of water, or purchase pre-encapsulated from doTERRA.
2) Tension & Tummy Tamer Whether you’re experiencing head tension, a sour tummy, or you need a boost of focus and energy, put a drop of peppermint oil under your tongue for amazing minty motivation and relief. Bonus: Your breath will smell amazing!