Frankincense is called the “king of the oils” because of its rarity but also because it is a powerful support for the body at a cellular level. I love using “Frankie” to support my skin, mood, and immune system!
(This post contains affiliate links)
Confession time: I hated the smell of frankincense for at least a year. Now I would describe it as “rich,” “warm,” and “woody,” but then, it was like stinky dirt to my nose. Still, I couldn’t deny its power. I used it in my face oil, and I began getting compliments on my skin almost at once. I used it for immune support and saw the difference it made in my body’s ability to heal. What I hadn’t experienced or understood, though, was why some people loved it so much for mood support. Then, last fall, my friend Mary died. To be frank, grief sucks. Two oils that I’d never cared much for suddenly became two favorites: Peace blend and Frankincense. Peace was wonderful for pushing back anxious or overwhelmed feelings, and Frankincense was encouraging and hopeful. And, thus, a bit of a love affair between Frankie and me began…
Primary Properties & Uses
If I had to sum up Frankie in just one word, I’d say “restorative.” It restores the body at a cellular level, restores the skin to a healthy glow, and restores the mood to uplifted harmony. It can be used aromatically, topically, and internally, and while its higher cost at first made me hesitant to use it, now I see the benefit of using just a little bit, often.
Here are three of my favorite ways to diffuse peppermint oil (recipes are assuming a 2-4 hour diffuser. I add about 1 drop of oil per hour of diffusing time to my diffuser):
1) By Itself: The rich, woody aroma is warm, inviting, and sometimes downright sexy! I find it stabilizes and lifts my mood with a single deep inhale
2) As a “bonus”. I diffuse for a lot of reasons— cleanse the air, increase focus, manage my mood, etc— but when I’m diffusing to eliminate negative emotions and encourage positive ones, I almost always add a drop of frankincense to the diffuser. I find that the aroma sinks to the background this way, but I know my brain is still getting all the benefits Frankie offers.
3) Bad Juju Blend. We all know people and situations that feel like “energy vampires”— we leave exhausted, irritable, frustrated, etc. When I’ve been around or know I will have to be around “bad juju” I bust out the big guns with this diffuser blend: 2 drops each of Lemongrass, Frankincense, and Wild Orange. Lemongrass banishes fatigue and anxiousness, Frankincense restores a sense of wholeness, and Wild Orange promotes feelings of abundance— take THAT, bad juju!
Frankincense is wonderful for the skin, so any time you use Frankie topically, you get the side benefit of promoting healthy skin cells!
1) Combine with lavender and melaleuca (10-15 drops of each) and FCO in a 10 ml roller bottle for a cleansing and restoring facial moisturizer.
2) FLOOM Support a healthy immune system by mixing 10 drops each of Frankincense, Lemon, OnGuard, Oregano, and Melaleuca with FCO in a 10 ml roller. Roll onto spine and feet for a powerful immune boost (this is a morning and evening routine for everyone in our house if there’s even a hint that one of us is fighting something).
3) Raise those vibes. You might remember from chemistry class that everything is made of molecules and those molecules are constantly in motion. The rate at which the molecules move is called the frequency of the object (measured in megahertz/ MHz). The healthy human body vibrates at 62-72 MHz, but a bad mood or feeling under the weather can lower that by as much as 12 MHz. On the contrary positive thoughts, self-care, a great environment can raise it by as much as 10 MHz. Because our bodies respond so well to their environments and because essential oils have nice high frequencies, we can proactively and positively “raise our vibe” by using our oils regularly. Frankincense, which has a wonderful vibration at 147 MHz, is my favorite for this proactive energy care. One way I use it is in the Bad Juju blend above, but I will also swipe it across my forehead, down my neck, and/ or on the bottoms of my feet when I just need a little “boost.”
(Note Bene: We all consume essential oils when we eat fresh, aromatic foods (fresh herbs, citrus fruit, etc), and we can consume them already distilled as well. In fact, some of the most powerful benefits of essential oils can be harnessed by taking the oils internally! For your safety, I only recommend doing so with doTERRA’s CPTG certified oils and only with oils that have the “supplement facts” label on them. Please remember that I am not a doctor, and you should proceed according to your comfort level and common sense and consider consulting your doctor. I am sharing here what I have found to be effective for me )
1) FLOOM Just like the FLOOM mentioned above, I also take this combo internally: 2 drops each of Frankie, Lemon, OnGuard, Oregano, and Melaleuca in a veggie capsule. If I’m “fighting something,” I take one capsule morning and evening for a few days. (Keep in mind that this is a powerful immune boost designed to be taken periodically, not as a regular regimen)
2) Tension relief Place a drop on your thumb then press into the roof of your mouth if you are experiencing head tension. Frankie is anti-inflammatory and quickly absorbed through the roof of the mouth to bring relief.