String & Story is proud to present the first annual Summer Stash Busting! This year, we will cover a variety of stash and scrap related topics including storage and using ideas to challenge you to bust that stash! Follow along, and be sure to use the hashtag #summerstashbustingchallenge as you share your progress and projects!
(This post contains affiliate links)
Welcome to this summer's hottest shop-your-stash party! Be sure to pin or bookmark this page because it will serve as "party central" in the coming weeks. Each time there is a new blog or video, I will link it up below, so it will be easy to read, find, and revisit your favorite posts.
This year's theme is The Stash, the Whole Stash, and Nothin' But the Stash. For me, I am putting blinders up and working my stash off hard core for the next few months. I made all kinds of confessions about my stash in the intro video to this year's party:
- Our family is working hard to get out of debt, and it's time for me to freeze my fabric spending so that all the money we earn can go toward our family's financial success
- Sometimes I'm scared to use my stash to write patterns or make videos because I'm afraid my work won't look "current" or "fresh" enough
- Even I, who am crazy about free motion quilting, have a pile of quilt tops awaiting my quilty attention
- I also love scrappy quilts, and, yet, my scrap bins are out.of.control. It's time for an organizational makeover
- Many of the fabrics in my stash have reached the end of their "shelf life"-- that is to say that they have done their job of making me happy by living in my sewing room. Now, it's time for them to become a quilt that says "I love you" to someone else in my life or to a child with cancer
I've been doing this new running program to try to shed some winter pounds (I blame Hubster-- the guy is a freakin baking machine. So much homemade bread. Also, yum), and it's time for me to do the same in my sewing room. My personal summer goal is to finish 6-8 WIPs, piece several more tops, and get my scraps trimmed and organized.
My goal for YOU is for you to finish the summer feeling inspired and energized to shop your stash habitually and to feel like you made progress on your WIPs and scrap using.
(titles will be made bold and hyperlinked as we go along)
- Blog: How to Organize and Bust Your Stash
- Blog/ Video: Foundation Paper Piecing (a great way to use scraps)
- Blog: Pattern Round Up: Easy Zippy Pouches and Other Side Projects
- Blog/ Video: Using Scraps: "Build the Units and the Quilts Will Come" (Aka: Why Bonnie Hunter is a Genius)
- Blog: Back Art: Embracing the Pieced Back
- Blog/ Video: Using Scraps: String Quilts
- Blog: Stash/ WIP Check In: What I've Finished and What I'm Making
- Blog/ Video: Making and Using Half Square Triangles (perfect for scraps and yardage)
- Blog: Pattern Roundup: Fat Quarter Friendly Patterns
- Blog/ Video: How to Make Any Pattern Scrappy (and love it)
- Blog: Pattern Round Up: Strip Friendly Patterns
- Blog/ Video: Improv Piecing and Made Fabric
- Blog: Intro to English Paper Piecing
- Blog/ Video: When and How to Destash/ Let Go
I'm so excited to host this party for the next couple of months! You are invited to take a look at your stash, WIPs, and scraps, and see how you want to join in on the fun this summer. And as I mentioned at the top, I'll link up each new post here as it's written, so be sure to pin or bookmark this page so you can check in each week! Also, I'll be hosting Summer Social Hour live videos in the Quilting Rockstars community Facebook group, so be sure to join up over there, too, if you haven't already!